Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Adventures of Friday and Saturday

Saturday, May 28, 2011

4:27pm

Wow! Another full day!

I was too sleepy last night to write about yesterday (Friday) so, I’ll start with that.

It was cloudy and rainy so I “slept in” until 8:30. When I got up, Lyndon was waiting to do the house orientation with me. He went through a lot of the policies and procedures, but I get the sense that just living there for a while will be (and has been) a much better orientation. Kane, being a relatively “new kid” himself, has taken me under his wing and given me a bunch of insider tips, which has been greatly appreciated! (He and Joe definitely know the best local microbrews, too! Mmmm!)

Anyway, during the orientation, I signed all the appropriate waivers and got all the necessary paperwork in order. Lyndon and I got squared away financially. I’m still not entirely sure how I would make it work financially if I decide to live here long-term, but I’m trying not to worry about it too much just yet. (And kinda failing, but whatever…)

Then, in the afternoon, Joe and Kane decided to go for a hike on the Hidden Valley trail and invited me to come along. It was so incredible! The forested mountain was so scenic from every angle. We saw tons of rhododendron trees, and at one point had to climb our way through a grove of blooming mountain laurel. The mountain laurel trees have beautiful white flowers and thin, spiraling, twisting, branching trunks. The whole effect of the low canopy of flowers and the long grove of hundreds of twining trunks was breathtaking. (If difficult to hike through!)

When we got home, I helped Lyndon cook supper. We had steamed greens, curried beans, and toasted quinoa, and everyone agreed it was pretty yummy. My first time cooking for 14 people (with a LOT of help from Lyndon) seemed to be a success!

After dinner, Patricia, Steven, Joe, and I sat down to play Spades. I won! By a lot! (Dumb luck… really, dumb, dumb, dumb luck!) Then I introduced Patricia and Nathan (a late night visitor from another neighborhood, come to talk to Patricia) to Bananagrams. They seemed to enjoy it. At least, I hope so! It is one of my favorite games, so I’ll want to have people to play with me!

Even though I didn’t get to bed until almost 10:30 (kinda late at MW), I got up at 7:30 again. I guess I’m an early riser now. I actually really like it. I’ve noticed that going to bed and getting up with the sun (generally) has been giving me more energy and has made me feel better all around. Also, the misty morning mountains are really beautiful and definitely worth waking up early to see. Since we are nested in a valley of tall trees, I can’t see the mountain range, but if I could, I don’t doubt that the mist would give them that classic “Blue Ridge” look.

At about 9:45, I walked to the Hut Hamlet to meet with Kaitlin (who lives there) to join her “work party” (when people get together to work on a project and socialize) for setting up the Red Tent. The Red Tent is a space for women (pardon me, womyn) to go, in Kailin’s words, “anytime, really, but especially when they are bleeding.” Womyn can go there to be alone or together, to soak in the creek or relax in the tent. Kim-Chi told me, “You can cry here, or wail… or laugh.” It is a beautiful, fantastic space! And very close to Medicine Wheel, actually. A path goes off the road into the woods half a block from our doorstep and winds its way beside Taylor creek to a temporary Red Tent and a space for the permanent Red Tent. A short path leads down to the creek. After clearing the overgrown path and some poison ivy, stretching a tarp over the tent to keep it dry-ish, making curtain rods out of bamboo (I sawed it all myself!) and hanging red curtains, and moving in some books and outdoor recliners, the Red Tent has been transformed into a comfortable, peaceful, and sacred place. I look forward to going there to honor my own moon time.

I stopped back at Medicine Wheel to clean myself up. I’m so glad I brought extra clothes because I’m going through them fast! You would not believe how quickly clothes get dirty, sweaty, soaked, and covered in poison ivy! Then I packed up and headed to the office to do internet stuff. Between getting ready to start my AST on Monday, my online course next Monday, and keeping up with you all, I actually have had a fair amount to do. I’ve finished all of my homework, and it’s about time to wrap up this entry!

I'm going to a "Gemini party" tonight – a birthday celebration for all the Gemini people here. Apparently there are a lot of them. It’s a costume party with the theme of “alter ego” (‘cause their Geminis, get it?). All I could think of to wear is my little black dress and some fancy jewelry! Close enough to an alter ego when I normally wear tank tops and jeans and get all dirty and sweaty. It should be fun. Joe even picked up a 12 pack of Highlander for us to split. Woohoo, alter ego! (DISCLAIMER: I will more than likely max out at two beers – to appease the ulcer-god, who has the power to make me suffer mightily – and be in bed by 10:30 again!)

peace

Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment